This week is Children’s Mental Health Week.
In a way it’s a surprise that a separate Mental Health Week is necessary for children, but if you look at the statistics, it’s more than necessary…it’s essential.
A survey released before Christmas that anxiety levels in under 9 year olds is skyrocketing. There are lots of reasons for this:
- The increasing pressure children, even that young, are being put under at school. For example there’s talk of SAT’s for 9 year olds.
- The incidence of bullying through social media
- The lack of exercise and outdoor activities that were typical a generation ago
But a more recent survey carried out with 1800 parents of 5 to 18 year olds focussed on the effect that the news had on their children. It revealed that:
- 41% think their children are anxious about the threat of terrorism
- 23% think their children are anxious about the threat of nuclear war
- 33% think their children are anxious about Donald Trump’s presidency
- 32% thought their children were anxious about global warming and climate change
I was a child at the time of the Cuban Missile crisis, but only really found out about it at university as part of my degree.
I would barely have had a clue who the U.S. president was, let alone what his policies were.
The internet has brought us many, many massive advantages, but children having such easy access to the news is not one of them.
We are living in the safest times that humanity has ever had and yet you wouldn’t know that looking at society with its epidemic levels of stress, anxiety and depression.
Anxiety is false fear: it’s fear about something that might happen. It is therefore happening completely inside our heads.
These 5-18 year olds are our future. It is absolutely essential that we start educating our kids on how their minds work; how and why they are creating their anxiety and so how they can deal with it.
This is exactly what the Mark Newey Method online Liberation Programme does. For more information, have a look at www.markneweymethod.com